Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Leaving for the Motherland

Alright, after five okay-ish days in Hong Kong, I'm packing up my bags and heading towards the Motherland...a.k.a. the red monster called China. Starting today, I'm going to be living out of my backpack for abou two months, which I think will be fun for about two weeks before it begins to get really old.

Hong Kong, for the most part, has been a nice week of not doing much of anything. I'm not a big Hong Kong person...the heat, the humidity, the insane congestion, the frequent drip of air conditioner window units hitting poor, unsuspecting pedestrians...it's not for everyone. I'm quite excited about the China leg of my trip, although the same issues of heat/humidity/peeing air conditioners and congestion all apply. Since I arrived in Hong Kong, just about every hong konger I've met has had some sort of ominous warning about travels through China. I find that there is a real prejudice among HKers about mainland China and the people. Some of it is well warranted, but I definitely think that quite a lot of it is unfair. There's a real sense that China is uncivilized and just a jungle of blood-thirsty subhumans who are looking to screw you over. After spending six weeks in China, perhaps I will feel the same way, but at the moment, I'm feeling optimistic.

Okay, I should get back to packing, so this is it for now. In fact, depending on whether or not I can access this site in China, this could be it for quite awhile. If that's the case, I'll try to post updates and photos on Facebook. Zai jian!

No comments: